For severalcenturies Seehof Castle was used as a summer residence and hunting lodge by theprinces-bishops of Bamberg. In 1687, the castle’s construction was entrusted tothe Italian Antonio Petrini, the founder of the Franconian baroque, while the designof its halls and the creation of the park with greenhouses was entrusted tooutstanding local artists. When Bamberg became part of Bavaria, the castlepassed into private hands. The new owners only intensified the destruction,selling the interior items and the remains of the sculptures.
Since thetwentieth century, when Seehof Caslte was returned to the state, itsadministration has been looking for its interior items worldwide. Thus, theywere able to bring the great hall chandelier back from Berlin’s Charlottenburg.A few pieces of furniture are now in the Metropolitan Museum in New York andare unlikely to be transferred back. The luxury castle façade, including thegate built as per the design of Balthasar Neumann, was restored. The halls withpreserved ceiling frescoed and original furnishings are open to the public. Insummer, the castle hosts two chamber music festivals.