Schabbellhaus, built with sandstone, is one of the oldest Renaissance buildings not only in Wismar but in the entire Baltic region. The building was constructed in the second half of the 15th century by Heinrich Schabbell, a brewer and later burgomaster of Wismar.
Heinrich Schabbell wanted to have residential premises, a brewery, and a trading facility in one place. As he didn’t trust the local craftsmen, he gave the order to Phillipp Brandin, an architect from Utrecht. Today Schabbellhaus has only one function: it is a town museum dedicated to history of Wismar during Hansa period and the Swedish rule in this land in 1632-1803.