Richmond Palace in the Baroque style was built in 1765 south of Brunswick by Karl William Ferdinand for his young wife, Princess Augusta, the sister of King George III. Their marriage took place with the aim to reconcile the two related rival clans: Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel and Luneburg-Kalenberg.
Accustomed to the luxury of the English court, Princess Augusta was disappointed with the residence of the Duke. As a gift for the birth of an heir, her husband built a palace in the French style with an English garden, established by gardener Lancelot “Capability” Brown specially arrived from Britain. Now the garden is one of the oldest examples of English landscaping on the continent.