Plassenburg Fortress is a symbol of Kulmbach. It has been known since 1135. Built as a fortification, it was also the administrative center of Plassenburg principality and residence of the Hohenzollern. In the XIX century Plassenburg Castle changed owners and its intended use: the fortress passed over to the Bavarian Crown and turned into a military prison and an infirmary. In the XVI century it underwent a large-scale reconstruction, was transformed into a Renaissance palace with towers and arcades.
Today Plassenburg Fortress houses a gallery of portraits of the castle owners and the museum of Prussian military history, which includes documents about the White Lady - the castle ghost. The White Lady, known from the XV century, appeared to the castle inhabitants whenever they were in danger - a war or a betrayal- and warned about it.