The Wies Church is a masterpiece of Bavarian Rococo. It is included in UNESCO World Heritage List. Luxurious rococo and works by the best Bavarian artists and sculptors are behind the temple design with the laconic white oval facade. Such rich decoration is rarely found in churches away from big cities. The temple’s construction under the direction of illustrious Bavarian artists Dominikus and Johann Baptist Zimmermann lasted nine years and ended in 1754.
The Wies Church became the pinnacle of creativity for its creators. Bavarian architect Dominikus Zimmerman thought it his most perfect creation, and was unable to leave Wies. The 70-year-old master built a house next to the church, where he spent the last years of his life. Court painter Balthasar Augustin Albrecht from Munich created the high altar of the church, and the four statues in the western part of the church were created by the outstanding sculptor Anton Sturm. At the beginning of the XIX century, the church was secularized and could be destroyed but was preserved thanks to the petitions of local people.