The old town hall is one of the most notable buildings in old Pegnitz. It was built around 1350, burnt in 1504 during a local war, restored in 1540, then destroyed again and restored again in 1706. In the middle of the 19th century the interior of the town hall was changed, while in the beginning of the 20th century the building acquired its modern look.
For a long time the town hall served as a market where meat and bread were sold. At the weekends it was a meeting place for townsfolk where they could talk and dance. Today newly weds are registered here and local officials conduct sessions.