The old saltern is the main attraction of Bad Reihenhall. After the 1834 fire it was decided to build a new salt processing factory here. Salt has been extracted in this area since a long time ago. In 1851 works were completed, and the saltern remained functioning until 1926. Today there is a museum in the building of the saltern.
Two metal wheels are still rotating here, though without any need. Levers that put in motion the pump that used to pump salty water from the depth of 5 meters are in great condition too. Go underground to see the deep mines and long tunnels that were used to get to the springs with salt.