In 1200 the OldTown of Quedlinburg became overcrowded. Then construction of the so-called New Townbegan behind the Mill Moat along the Steinweg Street. Strong walls with towersand gates were erected around the Neustadt (New Town), and a wide Market Squarewas paved in the centre.
Today the main building in the central square of theNew Town is a 13th century church of St. Nicholas. Its 72-meter tallpointed towers are recognized as the tallest construction in Quedlinburg. Thereare also many Fachwerk mansions of various eras and styles in this part of thetown. The town palace Hagensches Freihaus of the knight Hagen is noteworthy.This castle with towers was built in the 16th century and todayhosts a luxurious hotel.