Construction of the New Palace (Neues Schloss) began in the XVIII century on the initiative of Duke Charles Eugene. He hoped to make it Württemberg's answer to the Palace of Versailles. The foundation stone of the New Castle was laid down in 1746, but construction was only completed in 1806 under the reign of King Frederick II. Until the middle of the XIX century the palace served as a residence for the Wurttemberg kings.
During the Second World War the castle was almost destroyed. The city authorities have even thought to demolish the remains and build on the vacant area a hotel. However, in 1957, by a margin of just one vote, the plan of reconstruct the palace won. It was completed in 1964. At present the Ministry of Education and Culture Ministry of Baden-Württemberg are located in the building. A group tour should be taken to take a look at the interiors of the palace.