The construction of the New Castle in Meersburg beganin 1712. By the time the main castle of Meersburg had become obsolete as theresidence of the Bishops of Constance. The bishops built their new residence inthe then popular Baroque style. The construction lasted almost half a centuryand was completed in 1760. About 50 years, the building served as the residenceof the Bishops of Constance. But after the secularization movement followingthe Napoleonic troops the building started to be used for community needs.
Now, the New Castle hostsconferences and music concerts. There is a museum on the first floor dedicatedto the life of the prince-bishops. Furniture, paintings, clothes, dishes andother things that belonged to the local chapter of the Catholic Church are ondisplay there.