Neuer Bau in Ulm was built in thelate XVI century as a warehouse for storing grain. Salt and wine were kept inits cellar. The original pentagonal building became a fine example of GermanRenaissance. In the southwest corner of the courtyard is the tower with thestatue of Hildegard – the wife of Charlemagne. The tower was built in memory ofthe Emperor and his court, who often stopped in Ulm.
For sometime the building was used as a prison, then circus performances were givenhere. In 1802, the military occupied the former warehouse. In 1924, a largepart of the building was severely damaged in a fire, but it was quicklyrestored. Since 1938,Neuer Bau has housed Ulm’s Police Headquarters.