The advantage of Frankfurt from a tourist viewpoint is that many popular museums are located next to each other. This area on Schaumainkai riverside along the south side of the river Main is called Museumsufer (Museum Embankment) since 1980s of the XX century.
The Städel Art Institute (Städelsches Kunstinstitut), one of the largest art museums in Germany, existing since 1816, moved to Schaumainkai in 1878. Its collection, numbering about 2,700 paintings, allows to trace the history of European painting starting from the XIV century to our time. Among the artists, whose paintings are stored in the museum, are Jan van Eyck, Hieronymus Bosch, Sandro Botticelli, Bartolomeo Veneto, Lucas Cranach the Elder, Rembrandt, Paul Cezanne, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Van Gogh, Picasso. Moreover, the Städel owns a collection of 600 sculptures, as well as a solid collection of drawings.
A Sculpture Museum (Liebieghaus), located in the former villa of the manufacturer Heinrich von Liebieg, appeared next to Städel in 1909.
Also located on the south bank (from west to east) are: the Museum Giersch; Museum of Communications (Museum für Kommunikation); German Architecture Museum (Deutsches Architekturmuseum); German Film Museum (Deutsches Filmmuseum); Museum of World Cultures (Museum der Weltkulturen); Museum of Applied Art (Museum für Angewandte Kunst); Icon Museum (Ikonenmuseum).
The north bank also made room for another two interesting museums: the Jewish Museum Frankfurt am Main (Jüdische Museum der Stadt Frankfurt am Main) and the Historical Museum (Historisches Museum).
Every year, in late August, the Museumsufer hosts a Museumsuferfest festival, during which the museums from both banks arrange special events and excursions, and a "Night of Museums" is held in spring.