Ludwig Museum is the closest neighbour of Cologne Cathedral. In its halls the most important milestones in the development of art of the XX century are reflected and the largest collection of the works by Pablo Picasso is kept.
After World War II, Cologne lawyer Joseph Haubrih (1889-1961) gave the city a number of works of classical modernism and expressionism. 100 paintings were exhibited at the University of Cologne. It was attended by the future entrepreneur, but then a student, Peter Ludwig. What he saw inspired a young man to create his own collection of art. Its core was represented by the works of Russian avant-garde classics of years 1905 - 1935 – Malevich, Rodchenko, Goncharova – and American Pop Artists – Warhol, Wesselmann, Liechtenstein.
In 1976, Peter and his wife, Irene gave the city 350 works of art. Initially, the works of the modern masters were stored in the Wallraf-Richartz Museum, but soon a separate building was built for them. In the XXI century, in 2001, the museum exhibition increased with the paintings and sculptures by Pablo Picasso from the collection of the same philanthropists. Thanks to this generous gift Museum Ludwig became the third largest owner of the works of Spanish artist after Paris and Barcelona.