The emergence of the Meersburg Castle on Lake Constance is shrouded in mystery. The exact date of its construction is still unknown. The first written mention of it dates back to 1147. It is believed that Charles Martel - the savior of Europe from the Arabs, Frederick II of Staufen, Emperor Sigismund stopped in the castle - during the Council of Konstanz, when the castle served as the residence of the bishops, the German poet Annette von Droste-Hülshoff.
After the bishops left the castle, it was used as a courthouse, and then passed to a private owner. The latter ones turned it into a museum. 30 rooms of the castle - with furniture, weapons, jewelry, objects of everyday life of the Middle Ages and later eras, as well as the prison cell of the XIX century are now open for view. The castle’s Dagobert Tower offers a view of Lake Constance and the vineyards. German poet Annette von Droste-Hülshoff.