Martinskierche is the main church of the Bavarian Landshut and is one of the tallest churches in Germany, while its brick tower is considered to be the tallest in the world! On the whole, in the “tall” rating the main church of the small Landshut holds an honourable 13th place on the list of the tallest cult buildings in the world. This church is often called “folk”(Bürgerdom), because well-off town burgers that were many in number during the period of prosperity of Landshut, donated money for it.
Construction of the church started in 1389. Architect Hans Krummenauer who was building the church was tasked to make it as tall as possible. The story is that in those times, there were some clashes between the Town Council of Landshut and dukes of Lower Bavaria who sat in the castle of Trausnitz. By building a tall church, burgers wanted to become equal to the nobility from Trausnitz.
It took several decades to build the church. Krummenauer and his followers tried to satisfy requirements of exacting customers. The number of pine logs in the foundation of the church alone equaled to more than five thousand! As a result Martinskirche “grew up” to 130 meters. Burgers used to say that from its belfry “they looked into the soup plate of the dukes in the castle”. Today the church and the castle of Trausnitz are equal in one thing – they are the main places of interest in Landshut. Martinskierche is considered to be a classical example of German Gothic and a model of a “hall church”.