Marienberg mountain is the highest spot in Würzburg. In the middle ages the Mariennkirche church was located here, but later the local feudal lords decided that it would be better to erect a fortress on the height above the town. Built in the middle of the 13th century, Marienkirche castle became the residence of the Dukes of Franconia, and then of the Würzburg bishops. Later the fortress was completed and reconstructed according to architectural tastes of various eras. As a result, the territory of the Marienberg castle is a mix of different styles.
In 1525 the castle stood a siege. During the popular uprising, raged townsfolk and peasants unsuccessfully assaulted the residence of the bishop. However 100 years later, during the Thirty Years’ war Swedes seized the Würzburg fortress without much effort. In the middle of the 18th century bishops of Würzburg left Marienberg, having relocated downhill to the residence specially built for them. A wonderful view on ancient Würzburg and the river Main opens from the fortress walls. There is a local history museum on the territory of the fortress, which is also the museum of Franconian Main (Mainfraenkisches Museum), as well as exposition of sculptures of Tilman Riemenschneider.