The Old City Hall of Mannheim is remarkable with that it is one wholewith the church of St. Sebastian. This was done to enable the city council membersto leave the building and go to the temple to pray immediately afterconsideration of the city affairs. The City Hall is separated from the churchwith a 57-meter tower - one of the city symbols. Bells are heard ringing fromthe church belfry three times a day. The magnificent altar, the Virgin Marystatue and stained glass are noteworthy in the interior of the church.
The church and the City Hall are the oldest buildings in Mannheim. Theywere erected at the beginning of the XVIII century at the order of the localprince-ruler Johann Wilhelm. The first town meeting was held in the City Hallin 1705. It has been used for its intended purpose for over two centuries. Onlyat the beginning of the XXI century Mannheim City Hall moved to a more spaciousmodern building.