Kalvaria is the Latin name of the Golgotha mountain where Christ was crucified. In catholic countries this word is also used for chapels built on hills and dedicated to the Passions of Christ. Kalvarias were so important that their pilgrimage was equal to visiting a shrine in Jerusalem and Palestine. A local knight who had been in a crusade thought that this hill in the vicinity of Blankenheim, in the modern village of Alendorf, resembled Golgotha very much.
The 523-meter-high hill overgrown with juniper was given the name of Kalvarienberg. In 1505 a chapel appeared here together with seven religious sculptures for divine service of the Way of the Cross and depicting plots of the Way of Jesus Christ to the Cross. The chapel was destroyed in the 19th century, while 14 red sandstone crosses were included in the pilgrimage route between the hill and the village church. esembled Golgotha very much.