The island of Dänholm in the Strelasund Strait is less than five kilometers from Stralsund and is connected with it by a bridge. It became famous for two epochal battles. In May 1429, the battle between the Danish troops and Hanseatic fleet took place here in the war induced by Germans’ strengthening in Scandinavia, and in 1807 it became a battlefield for the Swedish and French armies.
When in 1815 Dänholm became part of Prussia, the Prussian Navy was deployed here. Its history is presented in Dänholm Marine Museum (Marinemuseum Dänholm) located here now. It includes an open-air exhibition of military equipment, of weapons, armor, battle plans, documents, and works of art concerning military. Another museum on the island, Nautineum is the department of the German Maritime Museum, dedicated to fisheries and maritime research.