Few buildings in Heidelberg survived the Thirty Years' War in the XVII century. The hotel of the Knight St. George is one of them. It is located in front of the Church of the Holy Spirit on the Market Square. The building is considered one of the best of the late German Renaissance samples. It got its name because of the statue of St. George on the pediment. The facade is richly decorated with ornaments, bas-reliefs and columns. The phrase “Praestat invicta Venus” (“May beauty be undefeated”) is written with golden Latin letters on the pediment.
The building was built in 1592 by Huguenot Charles Belier, emigrated from France to Germany. It is known that there has been a hotel at the building since 1681. In 1838 French writer Victor Hugo stayed here. He called this house "a delightful structure" and believed that a poet built it. The hotel is still located in this building and offers 37 rooms.