The Hospital of HolySpirit was founded in the beginning of the XIII century by a merchant from Lubeck,Bertram Morneweg and other tradespeople. It is one of Europe’s oldestcharitable institutions. After a fire destroyed the old building in 1286, the Hospitalof the Holy Spirit acquired its present appearance resembling a brick Gothicmonastery. Monks of the Order of the Holy Spirit cared for the sick and disadvantagedhere: hence the name of the hospital
The discipline in the hospital of the Holy Spiritwas strict, with a clear order of the day. It had its own church and a largeroom with beds almost for a hundred people to spend the night. Here they couldget food, take a hot bath (not more than eight times a year!), and receive medicalcare.
This house of mercy was known far beyond Lubeck andwas considered almost the best in the whole of Europe. Rich people often donatedto it not only money, but whole estates, land plots and shares in salt trade, whichwas the most profitable at that time.
Today, the hospital, in fact, continues itstradition: lonely elderly people live in its walls. The premises weremodernized and fully equipped for them, and the old small rooms with an area ofsix square meters are now something like museum exhibits. They can be seenthrough the transparent door of the hospital church.