The Holy Trinity Column is like other plague columns, which can be found in European cities, but it was erected on quite a different occasion. In 1705, during the War of the Spanish Succession, Austrians besieged Straubing. Local residents vowed to erect the monumental sculpture in honor of the Trinity, if the city avoided loot. The troops never entered Straubing, therefore the 15-meter column of white stone- standing on pillars with statues of angels and decorated with gilded figures of the Trinity -was erected in the city center on charitable contributions. The column is crowned with a cross with a gold nimbus and a dove - the symbol of freedom. It is symbolic that Bavarians and an Austrian worked on the creation of the column.