The palace complex in Bayreuth was founded in 1735 by order of Margravine Wilhelmina - the daughter of a Prussian King William and the sister of Emperor Frederick the Great. A palace (Old) was built here originally, and another one (New) appeared later. Construction of the New Palace started during Wilhelmina’s lifetime and was completed almost 100 years after her death, in 1853. An English park was laid out around the palaces and fountains were developed.
The palace complex is open to tourists. The interiors of the Music Room, the Japanese Cabinet and the Chinese Mirror Cabinet excite unstinted admiration. A Sun Temple, as it was called by Wilhelmina, is situated between the two wings of the New Palace. The Ruined Theater (Rhuinenteather) – a theatre pavilion stands nearby. By the way, Margravine Wilhelmina herself and even Voltaire played on its stage. It was just this pavilion that has brought a theater and then an opera glory to Bayreuth – the town of annual Wagner Festival.