Haemelschenburg -one of the most beautiful castles ofLower Saxony- is 12km south of Hameln. Constructed of Weser sandstone andsurrounded by moats, Haemelschenburg, with its two towers, gives the impressionof a knight's castle. Jürgen von Klencke built it in the late XVI century forhis family - wife Anna, and 14 children. Their descendants still live in thecastle.
Initially, the southernwing of Haemelcshenburg Castle was inhabited. You can see Renaissance furniture,paintings, porcelain and weapons in its rooms. Tourists can also enter thekitchen, living room, dining room, ballroom, the stables, the brewery andcellars. Soap is boiled according to the ancient recipe at the castle. Masterclasses for creating wooden toys are given in the old mill. In 1563, the Klenckefamily built the Church of St. Mary (St. Marien-Kirche). She claims to be theoldest freestanding Protestant Church in Germany. The church is surrounded by agarden and flower beds. There is a park with exotic plants, created in the XIXcentury, just above the castle. Visitors should pay attention to the pyramid inthe far corner of the park. It was established in 1855 and has long served as afamily tomb.