Church of the Virgin Mary, or Frauenkirche, was constructed under the order of the Prince Electorate of Saxony Augustus the Strong in the first half of the 18th century. It was constructed by architect George Bähr in the place of the old Dresden church that had been there since the beginning of the 16th century.
The 95-metre-tall new church was built in baroque. On February 13, 1945 Frauenkirche was destroyed by the fire of allied forces. After the end of the World War II, GDR authorities decided not to reconstruct the church. They were convinced that the ruins had to remind about the terrifying war. However after the unification of both parts of Germany, decision to reconstruct Frauenkirche was taken. In 2005 the reconstructed church was reopened in a solemn ceremony. A view on Dresden and Elbe valley opens from the observation deck of the church.