The castle of Frauenbühl is located in the place of Winhöring, not far from Altötting. Winhöring became known since the 9th century. A long time ago it hosted the residence of the bishop, but later Winhöring was presented to the knights of the Frauenhofen family. Around 1400, the representatives of the family constructed here the first castle of Frauenbühl which was not preserved until our days. However in 1721-1730 field marshal Ignaz von Toerring constructed a majestic baroque palace on the ruins of the castle.
The field marshal made a dashing career at the court of the Bavarian kings in the first half of the 18th century. A modest student of the legal faculty of Salzburg University, he later accepted the position of the first minister at the court of the Bavarian king Maximilian II, while later became the field marshal. Four grand wings of the building create a square courtyard. The palace is surrounded by an English park. Unfortunately, the palace is not open for visits. It still belongs to the field marshal’s descendants – members of the noble family of earls von Toerring-Jettenbach.