Eltz Castle is truly inaccessible: it is one of the two castles on the Eifel plateau, which have never been captured and destroyed. The castle with eight towers was built in the XII century and shared between the families of three Eltz brothers. The three families occupied 100 rooms! The castle is still owned by a descendant of one of the brothers.
There are several rooms in Eltz open to tourists. The Rübenach house, built in 1472, has an armory with armor suit, halberds, axes, guns and oriental weapon, brought as a trophy from the Battle of Vienna with the Turks in 1683. There is also a Lower Hall in the house, a typical housing of patricians of the XV century, with paintings by Lucas Cranach the Elder and woven carpets, as well as the Upper Room, bedchamber with a toilet and a chapel. The Rodendorf house of the same period has a lot more space. It has a kitchen with original furniture of the XV century, an ornate vaulted “banner-room” in late Gothic style; the Princess’s room with a Renaissance bed being the oldest in Germany; a large hall for family celebrations and counsels; an electoral room with portraits of electors who had the right to elect German kings. This house also contains a treasury with 500 exhibits: porcelain, engravings, crystal goblets, silver-work and goldware. You can reach the castle by a 12 kilometers long Mosel-Traumpfad Eltzer Burgpanorama tourist trail!