The Elstertalbrucke Bridge is the world's secondlargest brick bridge. It spans the White Elster River. Its foundation was laidin November 1846. More than 800 workers were involved in the construction,which is a very large number of people for that time. 12 million bricks wereused during the five years of construction! The result was the 68-meters-high two-levelbridge.
One of the levels of theElstertalbruecke Bridge serves the train traffic from Leipzig to Nuremberg, theother is a pedestrian walkaway. There is a transition between the two levels ofthe bridge, which at the same time is a mini-museum of grandiose engineeringstructure. On April 16, 1945 it was destroyed by the withdrawing forces ofWehrmacht. Full recovery of traffic on it was possible only five years later.