The first castle in Dachau appeared in about 1100. It was erected by representatives of the junior branch of the Wittelsbach dynasty ruling in Bavaria. At the end of the XIV century, the castle was demolished. And in the middle of the XVI century, Bavarian King William IV began the construction of this summer residence in the Renaissance style. The works lasted from 1546 to 1577. In 1715, the south-west wing of the palace was rebuilt in the Baroque style. The other three wings of the building were later pulled down.
The palace is surrounded by a beautiful English park. The castle is now a museum, and its banquet hall regularly hosts banquets, presentations, weddings, and classical music concerts. In summer, there is an open-air restaurant here.