Marble monument of the crucified Christ, Virgin Mary and apostle John is a theatrical award of sorts that was presented by the king Ludwig II of Bavaria himself. After he saw “The Passion of Christ” staged by the local people, the monarch was so touched that he presented a massive crucifix to the Passionspielhaus theatre. He chose the sculptor, material and even the place for putting the monument himself.
Munich sculptor Johann Halbig worked on the monument for several years. In 1875 the crucifix that by that time became the biggest stone monument in the world was erected on the Osterbihl hill.