The current building of the Chapel of St. Rochus inBingen am Rhein is not the first temple built on this site. The first Church ofSt. Rochus was built in the Middle Ages and was destroyed by large-scale cityfires. In 1666, a chapel was built in its place. It was dedicated to the memoryof plague victims that struck Bingen. In 1795, the chapel was destroyed by thesoldiers of revolutionary France, who entered the city.
In 1814, the new church’sconstruction began. Goethe described the church’s groundbreaking in Bingen inone of his works. Louise Seidler, Goethe's friend and part-time court painterof the Duke of Weimar, painted the church interiors. She was the creator of thesaints’ statues in the Baroque style, which decorate the church interior. However,this version of the Church of St. Rochus was not fortunate, either. In 1889,the building was hit by a lightning, which destroyed the bell tower. It was,however, restored. Now this beautiful Neo-Gothic temple is one of the attractionsof Bingen. The temple is functioning.