The Church of St. Michael is the oldest building in Furth that has survived even the Thirty Years' War, devastating for the city, in the XVII century. Historians believe that the church was built in around 1100. As Furth was a small town, even its main temple didn’t stand out with intricate shapes and luxurious decoration. At the same time, the church was well fortified. There was no fortress in Furth and during numerous wars the townspeople sought refuge in the temple.
The 45-meter tower in the late Gothic style was added at the beginning of the XV century. Thanks to it, the Church has long been the tallest building in Furth. The interior of the Church is more modern: in 1831 architect Albert Christoph Reindel completely rebuilt it in the Neo-Gothic style. There are two large manuscripts on the cathedral’s see. The people of Furth who died in the two world wars are all listed in them by name.