The foundation of the Gothic church of St. Martin was laid in 1364 and its construction lasted 98 years! After another 40 years, it turned from a Catholic into a protestant church. In the XIX century it became almost a cathedral at the will of the king of Westphalia Jerome Bonaparte, brother of Napoleon, but the latter did not allow him. In the 1950s the church underwent a large-scale reconstruction of the interiors, the built-on towers in Art Nouveau replaced the lost ones. The temple houses a 12-meter tomb of the Landgrave Philip in Baroque-Renaissance style, which, unlike the church decor, survived the 1940s bombing; the altar and the throne were remade in the 2000s.