The Romanesque Church of St. Kilian is one of the oldest temples in Höxter. It was built at the beginning of the XII century. The towers of different heights are its distinguishing feature. The north tower is 48m and the south tower is 45m. The last served as a watchtower in the past and the city archives were kept there. The remains of the old building were discovered during archaeological excavations in 1961. Many historians believe that this is the ruins of the church built by Charlemagne in the VIII century and is also dedicated to Saint Kilian.
The medieval decorations of the Church of St. Kilian were lost after the church became Protestant in 1533. Only the oak chest survived and is stored in the basement of the south tower. After the Reformation, the church acquired several valuable pieces of jewelry that survived the Thirty Years' War, which was devastating for Höxter. These pieces include the ornate Renaissance pulpit, the late gothic crucifix, the baptismal font and several ancient epitaphs. The monumental Baroque organ created in 1710 is Kilianikirche’s pride. Thanks to it, the temple has become one of the most famous centers of church music in Germany, which often hosts concerts.