Thewhite Church of St. Johann is one of the most recognizable buildings of Plauen.The two cathedral towers can be seen on the distant outskirts of the town. Thedocuments show that there was a church on this site in the Middle Ages and it belongedto the Teutonic Order. It is believed to be founded by German Emperor Henry V,who lived at the beginning of the XII century.
It is known that the old church buildingwas rebuilt several times, but its end was sad. The temple was burned in agreat fire in the town in 1548. The next cathedral was built in the late Gothicstyle. It has survived to the present day. The bell tower (Vogtskapelle) offersa good view of the city center and the surrounding area.