The Church of St. Johann is the main temple of Erding, and its Clock Tower (Glockenturm) is considered a symbol of the town. Construction of this massive church in the Gothic style started in the late XIV century. In 1464 it was consecrated. The temple was badly damaged during the Thirty Years’ War and the subsequent fire in 1648, so it was partially reconstructed in accordance with the fashion of the time, with addition of Baroque elements. Later, the neo-Gothic elements were returned, and baroque details are now stored in the town museum.
The pride of the church of St. Johann is a high Clock Tower, which faces the town’s main square Schrannenplatz. It is also a bell tower, on which five bronze bells ring out their melody every day. The tower was built in 1651 in Baroque style. In olden days there was a patrol guarding on the tower who warned residents in case of danger by the sound of bells. The patrol lived right here in the tower. By the way, this apartment was inhabited until 1945.