Building of the Opera in Chemnitz was built in 1909 and destroyed during the war. Today there is a new theatre on the Theatre square that opened its doors to the audience in 1951. In 1992 its large-scale restoration was completed, as a result the neo-baroque exterior was preserved, while inside the building was equipped with the state-of-the-art acoustic and stage systems. This allowed uniting opera, ballet, philharmonic theatre, drama and puppet theatres under one roof. Today it is one of the largest and most successful theatres in Germany. There are up to 30 first nights played during the season, and more than 800 events during the year, including concerts by the Robert Schumann Philharmonic Orchestra.