Cecilienhof Palace is the last of the imperial palaces in Germany. However, it does not make the grade as a full-fledged palace. Rather, it is a cozy mansion deep inside the park of New Garden. The palace was built by emperor Wilhelm II for his daughter-in-law Cecilie, the Princess of Prussia. Construction works were finished in 1917. During the World War II the building escaped destruction and played the most important role in formation of the new world order. It was here that from July 17 to August 2 the famous Potsdam conference took place with participation of Churchill, Truman and Stalin.
Unfortunately, it was from the Cecilienhof Palace that Truman gave the order to start atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and it was here that the Cold War was practically born. Today you can see an exposition in the palace dedicated to this historical event and visit the hall where the leaders of the most powerful states of that time decided the destiny of the world. A walk around the palace is also an obligatory part of the programme: there is a wonderful English park laid out here.