Both Berlin zoos are located next to each other in Tiergarten district. One of them is the oldest zoo in Germany (Zoologischer Garten Berlin) and was established in 1840. Here it is allowed to feed animals with special forage sold in vending machines next to spacious open-air cages. There is a ground where children can freely communicate with domestic animals.
The other one is Berlin Friedrichsfelde zoo that was established on the territory of the former East Berlin in 1954. It is famous for its sculptures and fountains. There are more than a hundred of them on the entire territory.