Augsburg town hall is the last tribute to the “golden era” after which a train of adversities came to the town. Architect Elias Holl began building it in 1615 in the place of the old town hall which did not fully reflect the prosperity of Augsburg for that moment. Holl ventured a revolutionary construction: at that time it was the first town hall in the world counting six floors.
The Renaissance-style building was completed in 1620. People from all over Europe would come to see the gigantic building of self-government. Inside, the town hall was even more magnificent: the golden hall alone surpassed kings’ and dukes’ rooms. By the way, construction of the town hall costed 100 000 guldens – a fantastic amount for that time! Today visitors may see some of the interior, in particular the famous golden hall.