The city received the former defense tower from Hessen authorities for only one euro. Constructed as a part of the fortress wall in the 14th century, the tower is 40 m high and used to be a prison for some time: its lower part was used for the purpose, with its walls being 1.75 m thick. In 1704 the building was reconstructed as a belfry and equipped with a striking clock. Later a part of the Hessen archive was located there for several years. At the end of the 20th century the tower was not used for any purpose, and in 2002 Darmstadt bought it from the land authorities. Today there are an auditorium and a photo gallery there.