In the southern part of the English Garden, not far from the place where surfers train near Eisbach, is an archaeological museum. It was founded in 1885, although the exhibits were collected nearly a hundred years before that, since the establishment of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences. The collection is small but informative. Its five departments of the ancient world, the Roman era, the Middle Ages, the Mediterranean and numismatics tell about the early history of Bavaria. Especially popular are the rooms representing the Celtic culture and the Great Migration period. Excavation and restoration of artifacts are carried by the staff of the museum.